Saturday, November 3, 2018

I Do It Because of Hitler


People often ask me why I decided to become an English major, and they are usually shocked by the answer. I tell them I decided to study English because of Adolf Hitler. 
The Fuhrer
Hitler, as everyone knows, is the infamous dictator who, during World War II, waged war on several countries, who sought to ensure communist governments throughout the world, and who was responsible for the inhumane deaths of six million Jews. Whether or not Hitler was a moral man is never in question by those who seek peace, but those who examine his life will come to see that he was indeed a successful leader.

Hitler came from humble circumstances, and with both parents dead by the age of 19 (accompanied with his rejection to Vienna’s Academy of Fine Arts), it may have seemed as though Hitler would struggle to ever amount to anything. Nonetheless, he soon became interested in politics, served on the German side in World War I, and was later arrested after announcing in a beer hall that a national revolution was beginning. During his time in prison, he wrote Mein Kampf. This book sold modestly at first, but soon became the second best selling book of Germany (after the Bible). Hitler’s power continued to grow, and he was triumphant in launching one of the most horrific wars the world had ever seen.

Hitler didn’t begin with an army. He didn’t start with concentration camps. He began humbly, armed with only words. This is where true power lies: with dialogue and the ability to use it.

As I learned more of Hitler in middle school and onward, I couldn’t help but wonder at the damage he was able to due with words. Then, it made me think about what might happen if good people could be able to use their words as effectively as he did. So much light would come into the world— and it has! Inspirational speakers give hope to those struggling with various issues. Comforting words build up those brought down by sadness, and words can be used to express love and appreciation. If all words were used for good, the world would be infinitely easier to live in.

And that’s why I study English. I want to learn to use my words as effectively as I can so that I might bring a little more peace to those around me.

Image Credit: Wikipedia's page "Adolf Hitler" image in the public domain

No comments:

Post a Comment