Saturday, November 3, 2018

"New York, New Yooooork!!"

  • Something big: Blast from the past
Just a couple weeks ago, I had a ten-year-old ask me for a summary of the lessons I've learned in my life. I was baffled for a few seconds, but soon found my footing with some solid truths such as "try to love everyone, no matter who they are." Later, I was just thinking about how someone can even pretend to fit twenty-two years of literally constant experience into a few comments, or forty years, or ninety years. Then I thought about history books, where decades of billions of lives' worth of experience are crammed into a few sentences, and I still struggle trying to learn how to navigate a simple friendship.
  • Something broken: How can I trust anyone? 
At one point during a job I had in the summer, I was handling small boxes of merchandise worth about $20,000 a box, and I was alone in a very low-security area close to where I had my backpack. It was also the sort of situation where they wouldn't have even realized it was missing till weeks after I'd already left the state. It suddenly fell upon me just how much implicit trust my boss had in me just by giving me the job--how could anyone sanely trust that much? Sometimes circumstances are just too tempting for crime or betrayal. But then again, the world would fall apart completely without it.
  • Something artistic or man-made: "New York, New Yooooork!!"
I had the opportunity to work this year in New York City at the US Open Tennis Championships. I was put up by my employer in a hotel in midtown Manhattan, and from the window of my hotel room, I could see an endless line of cars framed by endless towers. I'd think, people are so incredible! But then at work, I'd be dealing face to face with these tennis players who are worldwide celebrities, and honestly? They seemed exactly like normal people. People can be so deep, so creative, so powerful, and so incredible, and yet those whom I supposed to be the vanguard of such qualities seemed so mundane in person.
  • Something mysterious: Personality tests--how much accuracy is freaky?
Recently, I spent an inordinately large amount of time on the phone with a friend. How long, you ask? Nine whole hours. Why, you ask? Because we made the fatal mistake of taking the Meyers-Briggs personality test. I've tried other tests before, and to be honest, they seemed more like shotty horoscopes than insightful psychology exercises. I've always felt very independent and in control of my life, but this test made me extremely uncomfortable because it seemed to peer into my motivations and my methods with eerie veracity. But this made me ask, am I even in control at all??

4 comments:

  1. My older sister is obsessed with Buzzfeed quizzes. It always makes me laugh when she asks us to join with her and "Find Out Which Nicholas Cage Face Best Describes You" or take a quiz equally absurd. I laugh as the quiz results try so hard to peg me as somebody I'm not. But if there's piercing, alarming accuracy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That trust bit is honestly so true. People are excellent deceivers, and it's amazing that we still have the capacity to trust anyone

    ReplyDelete
  3. The meyers-briggs test is fascinating and there are plenty of things to learn from it about ourselves and others, within reason. I have found that using some of the suggestions from it in how I learn and how I communicate with other types of people have really helped, but people are a bit more complex than just whats on the test. It does provide a good basis though

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting experience to put into just a few sentences of all of your life lessons. It caused me to reflect and think about what I would say in that situation. I think if we were to reflect on this often, we might be able to see more richness and beauty in life.

    ReplyDelete