Monday, October 29, 2018

Understanding Love Through Pain

I have often been curious about why some of the most popular stories are the ones that don't have a happy ending. Highly acclaimed novels such as Romeo and Juliet, Ethan Frome, Of Mice and Men, and numerous others have all broken my heart. And to be honest, I never liked them. Recently I added Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte to the list of tragic books that left me feeling slightly depressed.


Image result for heart break

However, as I reflect on the book's content and try to take into account the context and time period in which this book was originally written, I see much more purpose in the words that Bronte wrote. One of the staples of the Enlightenment period and the "novel" was that it played on the personal and private aspects of life. Meant to be consumed by the individual rather than aloud in groups, the reader is able to connect with those sometimes dark and imperfect aspects of the characters. 

In Wuthering Heights we read of a man named Heathcliff who is at the death bed of Catherine; the only woman he has ever loved. In a desperate moment to be together prior to her death and as Catherine's husband approaches, we read:

"‘I must go, Cathy,’ said Heathcliff...
‘You must not go!’ she answered, holding him as firmly as her strength allowed. ‘You shall not, I tell you.’
‘For one hour,’ he pleaded earnestly.
‘Not for one minute,’ she replied.
He would have risen, and unfixed her fingers by the act—she clung fast, gasping: there was mad resolution in her face.
‘No!’ she shrieked. ‘Oh, don’t, don’t go. It is the last time! Edgar will not hurt us. Heathcliff, I shall die! I shall die!’
‘Damn the fool! There he is,’ cried Heathcliff, sinking back into his seat. ‘Hush, my darling! Hush, hush, Catherine! I’ll stay.'"

Moments such as these are exactly what made me dislike these classic love tragedies. Two people who are desperate to be together, but know that it is impossible. However, when I look at this writing and story line from the perspective of the enlightenment period, it is beautiful writing that has shaped the way society is today! Thanks to the raw and personal writing in novels such as Wuthering Heights, we are able to relate to these characters and understand the beauty in the pain that these characters feel.

In a way, as we feel the pain of these characters we read about, we put into perspective the value of the relationships we have in our own lives. Thanks to the experimental and dramatized writing of the Enlightenment period, humanity can come together with common understanding of things that may not often be talked about but are felt. Having seen this beauty in writing from the Enlightenment period, I have gained much more appreciation for those tragic love stories. I might even admit to enjoying them (occasionally).

Image:
https://www.google.com/search?q=heart+break&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS767US767&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwji_MLswq3eAhWSrFMKHes-BJ8Q_AUIDigB&biw=1242&bih=569#imgrc=-i0NM0q6fVfB8M:

3 comments:

  1. I think one of the reasons behind the popularity of these novels were how much they were an escape for the common person. The conditions in the industrial revolution were so bad that these kind of silly love stories had by the nobles were the things of fantasy, but a fantasy that the common person could escape to to feel as though they were there themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your topic! I can give you first-hand insight into Charlie Brown's woes, since that is who you chose for your picture. My dad (Charles M. Schulz) said, "happiness isn't funny." This is the main reason there is so much unrequited love in his comic strip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's true that the pain in the story can awaken us to the values we have in our human relationships. I think, though, that the book has been misunderstood. Unlike most love stories, the entire theme of the book comes to a far more ambiguous question- does love redeem such terrible people. Heathcliff and Catherine made quite despicable choices throughout their lives, but we generally consider love to be such a purifying emotion that we wonder whether it made them better people. I don't know what Bronte would say, but I think her position was that those 'silly love stories' had severe limitations in their power to redeem.

    ReplyDelete