Saturday, November 3, 2018

Why Disney Channel... Just Why?


  • Something Big: How Donald Trump Became President- When I found out that Donald Trump was running for president while I was on my mission, I was genuinely shocked. As I saw some bits and pieces about his campaign from other people and from the news, he was very much painted as being incompetent and unfit to run the country, especially with his impassioned declarations about building the wall. Along with that, many A-list celebrities were actively speaking against him. It really seemed as though everyone was against him. Because of that, I was truly shocked when I woke up and my parents told me that he won and was now the president of the United States.
  • Something Broken: The Music Industry- It's no secret that the music industry/entertainment industry isn't perfect. Many people have come forward saying that music execs pressured them to act a certain way and do certain things and others have talked about their record label not promoting their music as much as other artists. Now obviously, greed is a big motivator behind the actions of a lot of these people taking control of the artists' images and style and whatnot. However, what I don't understand is how this industry managed to become so successful when these issues are well known by the general public.
  • Something Artistic or Man-Made: The Fourth Halloweentown movie Return to Halloweentown- Okay, I'm still coming down from the spooky high of Halloween, so please bear with me. If you had a good childhood, like I did, then you probably grew up watching Disney Channel, including all of the movies in it's iconic Halloweentown franchise. However, if you've watched the fourth and final movie Return to Halloweentown, you've probably noticed that it has some issues. Number One, they replaced Kimberly J. Brown, who played the protagonist Marnie Piper, with actress Sara Paxton (pictured above, in the film). Disney, I don't care what you tell me or have other characters say, THAT'S NOT MARNIE!!! Number Two, why was Witch University never mentioned in any of the previous movies? If it's as big of a deal as it is for Halloweentown, why couldn't there have been a line casually mentioning it in passing, or something? I have many more questions and I could talk about this for hours, but you get the point.
  • Something Mysterious: How is Tori Kelly Not More Famous?- This question literally keeps me up at night sometimes. For those who don't know, Tori Kelly is an incredibly talented singer, a vocal queen, who is extremely underrated. Some of her previous songs have performed decently well on the music charts, but she is still relatively unknown by most people. How is it that is amazing woman, with the voice of an angel, is still not big, when she is capable of doing things like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aLPCbJJL2M (you're welcome).

2 comments:

  1. I would say that in regards to the music industry, the reason people don't raise more of a fuss about it is because it is "entertainment" in another form. There is a dark side to humanity that is sadistic, that has us say "I'm glad that happened to them, because I know that won't happen to me". In our social cliques we publicly despise what one group does to the other, and yet in front of the TV screen we laugh when the reverse happens. This is not to say that we are all monsters, but rather we do not share as much empathy with people we don't know and likely won't ever meet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Society doesn't want talent, they want drama and sell-outs. I feel like it's so common for famous musicians to not really have any talent *cough*Taylor Swift*cough* but they know how to cater to the people, so they stay prominent while actually talented people remain in the shadows.

    ReplyDelete