Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Not the First Man There, But the First Tale Told: Marco Polo

A More Modern Makeover for Marco

"Ad Fontes" is the belief in "going back to the sources", which is to say in the context of the Renaissance, to learn from the Greek and Roman philosophers of the past. However, just because it implies such, doesn't mean we can't go back to a more... recent source. Marco Polo, the man whose journey to China would inspire Columbus' search for India, was born in the year 1254 to a large merchant family, where he himself took up the trade (literally). At the young age of 17, he left with his father and uncle on a return trip to China. This journey would serve as the inspiration behind his work "The Travels of Marco Polo". While some historians argue over the book's authenticity, it has been noted that the book contains less errors compared to other travel logs of the time, as well as containing far less "miraculous" events within. On the other foot, it has also been noted that there are a few glaring omissions of China in the work, such as the itty bitty little issue of the Great Wall of China. Regardless of whether you believe that he made the actual journey or not, what can be confirmed is that he is the first to have a detailed account of their "journey". This account would serve as "the source" of inspiration to explorers for centuries to come.

Throughout my life, I've had to take both people and works on the basis of faith. Whether it be my friends, classmates or even my church, these things at various times have required me to place my trust in what they had said. Some times my faith was well-placed, at other times I wish I could go back and change my mind. Such experiences have made me empathize with Columbus, who had no way to verify what Marco Polo told was a true account. Despite that, he took his word as the motivation necessary to try his own journey to what he presumed was "Asia". And really, such faith? It's admirable.
Image Credit: "Marco Polo" via Wikimedia Commons

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea Marco Polo's account inspired Columbus. There are a lot of patterns of 'ad fontes' throughout history; one example that comes to mind is the founding of the United States. The Founding Fathers repeatedly reflected and studied on economic and political ideas from philosophers like Plato, Montesquieu, Aristotle, as well as patterns in Europe. Implementing their ideas required faith, like you mentioned, and courage as well. But if they never tried, they never would have learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it really isn't the content of the piece- it's the fact that it was written, and it inspired others to do great things. I feel that way about several books I love.

    ReplyDelete