Saturday, September 22, 2018

Martin Luther: Old Faithful

I've grown up hearing a lot about Martin Luther, in school, church and general conference. I've seen reenactments with bad acting, reenactments with good acting and everything in between. This last week was the very first time I've ever read any of Luther's own words. I was surprised by his tone. I think one reason why I love Martin Luther so much is his devotion to his faith, throughout his thesis and his different writings you can feel his passion.

He is committed to what he knows and believes. I loved hearing the turmoil in his writing and the devotion to what the scriptures say. I can imagine what a confusing and scary process that all must've been for him, I'm sure he bounced back and forth between questioning his faith and questioning the church. I love how he isn't thrashing the church completely though.


Martin Luther

He is unapologetic and direct, but he isn't hateful. It's interesting to see now with so many people today who question and leave the church, how a pretty large portion turn hateful. I think people have their own reasons and it's always personal, but I really respect how Luther didn't turn poisonous.


image credit: https://www.biography.com/people/martin-luther-9389283

1 comment:

  1. I tend to disagree with you: I feel Luther was very resentful towards the institution of the Catholic Church. But I believe he was fighting out of convictions and sincerity of his heart, and I respect those who do so. I also think it helps to know about the demons he fought inside; his story of guilt, grief, and mental illness is one to which many of us can relate.

    ReplyDelete