Thursday, September 13, 2018

A Stranger at Home


Coinciding with the Renaissance era was a time of exploration by countries of Europe. In particular, Portugal and Spain pioneered the oceans for "God, gold, and glory", or in other words, for the sake of missions, economic prosperity, and global influence/political dominance. Naturally, their European neighbors followed suit. Today, we often discuss their adventures with a heavy grain of salt and a disdainful tone as we remember the harrowing exploitations that took place. But upon reading French explorer Michel de Montaigne's Of Cannibals, I've come to consider that not every adventurer sought to prey upon third-world countries.

A view of the outside world molds the lens in which we view our own. Just as Montaigne saw cannibalism as less savage than aspects of punishment in his home country, travel can lead us to question our morals and mannerisms. This shapes our identity-- and perhaps most of all, with whom we identify.

While living in Japan last August, I did more than just appreciate their culture-- I adopted it. This isn't meant to sound boastful, but to simply express how I related to certain aspects of their culture more than my own. Dignity, modesty, respect, diligence, politeness, kindness... all inherent parts of Japanese custom, and all values which I prize highly. I felt like a sound wave that had been tuned-in to the correct frequency.


This leads one to ask: did the conquistadors ever relate to the cultural ideals of their captive country better than their homeland? Did explorers ever long to live "tribally", or feel like a fish-out-of-water upon arriving home? Looking forward to the Enlightenment, it seems that the explorations of Europe paved the way for a new humanist empathy to take root in Europe.

Perhaps we'd do well to rethink our assumptions about the explorers. Maybe they, too, became strangers to their homelands, and in turn, propagated tolerance across Europe for the indigenous world. 

4 comments:

  1. I think you are far from boasting as I believe that the phenomenon of adopting a new culture and then feeling like a stranger in the previous culture is accurate and common. I think every returned Latter-day Saint missionaries often feels the strangeness of a new culture for the first few weeks or days of their mission experience (even if its just in another part of their own country) and yet come home feeling less comfortable with the environment they were raised in. I was shocked as well to experience the Italian culture, which was bizarre to me because 1) I have nothing but European ancestry, 2) Italy is a predominantly Christian country and I have been a devout Christian my entire life. But even their views of God and Jesus Christ were so different I felt so awkward talking about it with someone I thought would understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very interesting idea that I had never considered. Like you, I have also had a similar experience of adopting the culture of another place and feeling that it suits me better than some aspects of our own culture. I think that although there were some horrible things that happened during the exploration period, there was a lot of good that came from it as well, as it began to break down barriers that allow us to have the freedoms we have today and the ability to value other cultures and societies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it always depends on the explorer. The most common mindset back then was an egocentric one- but as you said, it wasn’t always like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recently, I read an article that bashed a young woman for opening an "authentic" taco shop. She has bleach-blonde hair and was born in California (I believe) and had set up shop in Cancun, Mexico. She identifies as a native and loves the culture, but since she wasn't originally from Cancun she was ripped apart and scorned for attempting to run an "authentic" shop when she isn't Mexican. It makes me wonder how much you can really adopt a culture if the culture isn't willing to adopt you?

    ReplyDelete