Saturday, September 15, 2018

Technological Advances: Stop the Dam or Ride the Wave?



Around 1450, Johannes Gutenberg revolutionized the spreadability of knowledge and media by bringing a printing press with movable type to Europe in the heart of the European Renaissance. This allowed books to be printed and sold on a scale previously incomprehensible. Now, almost 600 years later, this is seen as an essential stepping stone towards all subsequent technological advances. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, the part that the printing press played in the Protestant Reformation is indispensable.

Without the power and bias of hindsight, however, not everyone in that era was pleased with Gutenberg's accomplishment. Some even saw the printing press as barbaric and claimed that it would "impair learning by lowering it to the level of the multitude". The "high society" of knowledge was desirable and praiseworthy because it was "high society". Making knowledge more accessible made the acquiring of it less admirable.

We see this resistance to technology in our day as well. Periodically, I will receive an email from my father with a link to some study with conclusions such as "having your cell phone in the same room while working will decrease productivity even if it is powered off". Do I blame him for having these views? Can I use the printing press, what I see as a marvelous invention, to invalidate his worries? No.

People see what they want to see. Those who fight against new technologies have their reasons for doing so, and often see themselves proved right. I'm sure the studies my dad sends have valid data, and I have seen the distraction my smart phone presents. Those who grasp onto new developments also have their own reasons, and often see the good done that they hoped to see.

So do we ride the wave of technology? Do we stick to the old ways? The point is moot, the choice is yours. Either way you will be right.


Image Credit: Wikipedia Public Domain

3 comments:

  1. That's a great point. People tend to assume that the more we rely on technology, the less we learn. While that can be true, I think technology definitely has improved our ability to learn quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My study of language change has helped to open my eyes and mind to the reality of change in each generation. Human beings seemed to be most comfortable with the here and now. Every generation spouts off, to the next generation, "In my day...." They then proceed to talk about what is being ruined by the younger generation. The fact is, every generation has those who came before them, and those who will go after them. We cannot stop change in fashion, music, or technology. I say we ride the wave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we choose not to ride the wave, we are hindering ourselves from opportunities that could in fact increase our learning. We are lucky to live in a time and age where technology is rapidly changing, and we see these advancements on a daily basis. I know it can be difficult for the older generations to see the positive impacts of technology, but I think it just comes with time. My grandma who is 96 said she would never need a cell phone, and she now has not only a cell phone, but a smart phone. Not to mention and Instagram account. My point is, resistance is normal, but with time, most people will come around and choose to ride the wave.

    ReplyDelete