Thursday, November 8, 2018

The Lady of Shalott's Final Moments

My first contact with this painting was nearly five months ago. I was studying for a final with a friend and a passerby exclaimed that she loved that screensaver! My friend’s screensaver was a picture of the painting of the “Lady of Shalott.” They had a surprisingly intense conversation about the painting and then moved on with their respective lives. This struck me as a powerful interaction about a painting that I had never experienced. It confused me how they could feel so strongly about a painting that was more than a century old.

That evening I searched the painting online. I sought to understand how they could have such strong sentiments about this painting. I love stories, I love understanding “The Why” behind people’s actions. I am generally not a fan of ambiguity and personal interpretation. I prefer the absolute truth.

"The Lady of Shalott" by John William Waterhouse 1888

During my research, I learned that this painting was created to supplement a powerful poem written by Alfred Lord Tennyson. I also learned that John William Waterhouse loved painting women right before their deaths. This appeared to be a vulnerable moment. I learned the story I wanted, and the painting suddenly struck me at a much deeper level. The Lady is dying for breaking a curse. In her last moments of life, she chooses to experience the life she has not been able to enjoy by leaving her tower and venturing out on a boat. Her face expresses a mix of deep emotions including fear and sadness, but I would also argue satisfaction and even pleasure.


In contrast with my first experience where I did not understand this piece, I have grown to love this painting. This painting typifies the Romantic period. This displays a full range of emotion expressed by the face of the Lady of Shalott. The colors in the painting are a contrast of light and dark that creates a focus on the Lady while also displaying the dark gothic or difficult emotional state that she is in. It expresses both a fear of death, desire for the unknown, and releases a tone of fatal reverence as one would feel I the presence of a dying loved one. 

Image credit: John William Waterhouse "The Lady of Shalott" 1888. By Plum Leaves licensed under CC by 2.0

3 comments:

  1. The story behind this painting is fascinating! There are so many layers of depth in the arts of the Romantic period that allow potentially anyone to find connection and meaning within each piece. Validity was given to emotions that the scientific and industrial revolutions didn't cater to. The paradox in this painting is striking--it's serene yet simultaneously painful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've never really been that interested in art to be honest, but learning the story behind the painting actually does make it a lot more interesting. To be honest when I first saw it, I wouldn't have picked it out of a dozen others that seem like it. Too often I think I'm inundated with art and don't take time to focus on specific pieces and their significance. Will definitely need to look more into other works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In reference to the conversation sparked by your friend's screensaver, it is amazing to see how art can bring people together. This inspires me to continually educate myself when it comes to history, art, literature, etc. so that I can have interactions like that of your friend.

    ReplyDelete