Thursday, November 8, 2018

Deep in Romanticism


Edgar Allen Poe has many short stories and poems that have always captivated me; this is going to sound so cliché it may make you sick, but one of my favorite pastimes is flipping through my collection of Edgar Allen Poe when it’s raining, window open, maybe sipping on some warm tea from my raccoon mug. Yes, you read that correctly. The mug in the shape of a raccoon. I think Poe would be proud to know that I read his works while simultaneously drinking from a cup the shape of a rabid, trash-picking animal.


But of all the works that Poe wrote and of all the poems of his that I have read, there is one that I have memorized and think of often (I wish I could say I was cool and can just spout off any Poe poem in any moment but you’ll see the negation to this below and understand that I am, in actuality, very uncool.)


Deep In Earth, Deep in Romanticism

The poem is titled “Deep in Earth” and goes like this:

“Deep in earth my love is lying
And I must weep alone.”

Pretty standard cryptic-ness from Poe, right? (And pretty short and therefore, very easy to memorize. #uncool)


This poem wasn’t officially written and produced and published like other Poe poems; no, it was instead found as a slightly faded note on the manuscript for the poem “Eulalie” which details a happy marriage. “Deep in Earth” as written after Mrs. Poe’s death and presumably, Poe wrote this as a reaction to this event.  


I think telling an emotional story in less than 13 words is a skill I wish I had and part of the mysticism of Romanticism.


Embracing Chaos

Personally, I become too involved with organization and perfection. I love writing, but its hard to write because the syntax, the rhythm, the meaning, and the reception
must be perfect or I failed. But in all aspects of my life, I find that honesty regarding the chaos of it all brings me closer to understanding, like a personal note of exasperated loneliness, despair and mourning on the manuscript detailing a happy marriage.

Image Credit: Portrait of my Poe collection and Raccoon the Mug

1 comment:

  1. I can definitely imagine how much power such few words have. However, where short and sweet has power and emotion, I find that it is in Poe's longer works that we get a true insight into not just his thoughts and feelings, but the darkness within humanity as well.

    ReplyDelete