Tuesday, December 17, 2019

There is a Reason Bueller Skipped Class

Dear My Younger Sister's Sophomore Year American History Teacher,

Normally, I would not have any reason to write a letter to one of my sister's high school teachers. But lately, her calling and begging me to explain to her basic concepts in American history has become a recent occurrence. At first, I welcomed the calls due to my passion for learning history, but as time has gone on, she has also told me more concerning your style of teaching

The fact of the matter is: teaching history is much more than simply putting "The Patriot" in the DVD player and pressing play. I get it, you don't want to end up teaching directly out of the textbook and being compared to the hilariously boring history teacher from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off." But while using films may be an easy way to grab teenagers' attention and require minimal effort on your part, it restricts your students' ability to gain appreciation for the study of history and receive skills that could bless their futures.

Today your students have more opportunities to grasp and experience history than ever before due to the miracles of the digital age. Predicting the carrier/content aspect of our digital age, Marshall McLuhan, the media theory philosopher, coined the phrase, "the medium is the message," meaning the form of communication you use will affect the message you put across. By restricting yourself to the use of a DVD player – a machine now outdated enough to be considered a historical artifact worth studying – you are restricting the way your children view the past.

Instead of expecting the heroic propaganda of Mel Gibson's revolutionary battles to provoke historical excitement, consider some newer and more hands-on ways for the students to interact with the past. Consider the Renaissance approach of Ad Fontes, returning directly to the sources to build this excitement. History teacher Will Colglazier of San Mateo, California has seen success among his high school students by helping them engage directly with primary sources to grapple with intriguing historical questions.
18th Century London Coffeehouse

Imagine for a moment your students were transported through time to a British coffeehouse or a French salon in 18th century enlightened Europe. Here in the Public Sphere, they would be expected to participate in informed dialogue concerning the arts, culture, and politics. Most likely the topic of discussion in these salons in the late 18th century would indeed be the American War of Independence. So, think for a moment, would Mel Gibson, Heath Ledger, and "The Patriot" supply them with enough information to be able to hold their ground and be knowledgeable enough to participate in these enlightened conversations? Or to think in terms of today's public sphere, would their practice of studying history provide them the means to synthesize information that could give them an upper hand outside of school or in the workplace? The phone calls I receive from my sister make me believe that they wouldn't.

My peer Jacob Lang expressed to me his fear that public schools, "neglect soft skills (creativity, collaboration, interpersonal skills) that often are most important in finding a job and ultimately leading a fulfilling life." I believe that the study of history can lay the foundation for these soft skills that are often overlooked. You have the responsibility and opportunity to help these young minds cultivate and grow into great leaders and thinkers that will one day make history themselves.

In the short term, I will be happy to answer my sister's questions concerning the American Revolution. But continuing in your style of teaching will do nothing more than create a generation of unexcited learners that will lack the valuable skills that a worthwhile historical education could provide them.

Best wishes,
Grant Baldwin

3 comments:

  1. Hi Grant!

    First off, what a great topic. Personally, I feel like teaching and education in general needs an update, or maybe a facelift!

    I don't personally know a lot about the educational system and the checks and balances with it but I do know that a lot of things in this "digital age" are changing. New jobs are coming up and new job titles that were never a thing before need to start becoming degrees and things that are taught in school! School needs to be interesting and more applicable.

    I believe that a lot of the things we are learning in school should be more applicable to us in life, similar to the structure of this class. I feel like this class we are in, enabled us to apply historical times to our lives now. We got to study certain people and ways to go back to the sources (ad fontes) and how we can do that now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grant, I really liked your blog! It brings about an interesting topic and makes me think. From this class I learned that history is really important and can be applicable to us, even if it happened hundreds or thousands of years ago. By looking at certain themes throughout history we can find what worked for them and try it out for ourselves and then we can look at what failed for them and take that with a grain of salt.
    History has always been one of my least favorite classes and I think that is because of the way most history teachers structure their classes. They are often really boring and I struggle with finding a way that it matters to me. A lot of the time it just seems like a class that focuses on a bunch of old white men and their tragedies and victories. I agree with Kesli that history needs a face lift. I loved the imagery that you used of Ferris Beuller’s history teacher. As soon as I read that I knew exactly who you were talking about. I really loved how you tied in the aspect of the Public Sphere because I often felt in my history classes that I didn’t retain anything I learned because I was never put into an activity that replicated a Public Sphere.

    ReplyDelete