Monday, November 26, 2018

Talk Like You Sing

On March 5, 1946, Winston Churchill gave his famous address entitled Sinews of Peace. One thing that struck me about this speech is Churchill’s voice and the way that he uses vocal intonations to further his points in conjunction with how he uses the English language.

Vocals
I found that Churchill’s voice was very authoritative without being overwhelming. At least to me, he came across as being very grandfatherly, as someone having dominance in the household but doing what he is doing out of love.

He seeks to cast away any apprehension that the audience might have with regards to his intention. He says, “Let me however make it clear that I have no official mission or status of any kind, and that I speak only for myself. There is nothing here but what you see.” This is said in a very clear way, and the vocal intonations give the impression of someone who is being honest and completely open. Were he trying to deceive his audience, the words may have come out more hardened and absolute with no room to argue. However, in this instance, there is no artificial sweetener in his voice. It is easier to believe that Churchill is speaking his mind and that he has no intention of deceiving his audience.
Our voices change when we speak, just as when we sing.


Musical Rhythm
Churchill uses not only his voice to deliver his points, but he also uses his mastery of the English language. For example, he says, “Let us preach what we practice -- let us practice what we preach… I have not yet spoken of poverty and privation which are in many cases the prevailing anxiety.”

I have listened to speeches before where I felt that the speaker did not know what they were talking about. But, oftentimes when I have reviewed their words, I have found that what they were trying to say was admirable, but that their lack of knowledge concerning the use of language hindered the effectiveness of their delivery. I have rarely met anyone who doesn’t appreciate music, which usually has regular rhythm and rhymes. Speech is not much different. When people are able to use language in a way that is more palatable to the ear, people are more willing to give heed to what is said.

Were people more cautious in the ways that they speak, they would find it easier to persuade people. Speaking the same way we sing (without actually singing, of course) might not be a bad idea.


Image Credit: Wikipedia public domain "Frequency vs Position on the Treble Clef"

5 comments:

  1. I think this is a really cool concept and I wonder if Churchill knew how rhythmic his speech was. All sound is connected in same way and saying that music and speaking is accurate. Its something that poets do because it stays with the reader/listener, like when a song gets stuck in our head. This speech probably was stuck in a lot of heads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite interesting to find out about, I never realized how much of a cadence Churchill creates in his words, it certainly would explain how someone could get entranced by his voice. Combine that with making the people is speaking to the target of his speech also helps in influencing their positions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who LOVES music, I really like and appreciate this post. I think that the tone of someone's voice and the way they phrase things is definitely just as important as what they're saying. Churchill definitely did a good job of this and I think your description of 'grandfatherly' is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize this while I was listening the first time, but when I went back I started to notice that there is a kind of rhythm to how he speaks. It is super interesting how the rhythm of the talk affects how it is received.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE how well Churchill uses his voice when he speaks. Its all about placing emphasis on the right words. Reading this speech and listening are two completely different experiences. Churchill gives you the whole emotion and importance of everything in just the way he says it.

    ReplyDelete