Thursday, September 12, 2019

Humanism and the Repair of the World

To a medieval man or woman, society was ordered, hierarchical: if you live in the Middle Ages, someone else is always in charge. One of the most fundamental ideas born during the Renaissance is humanism: a philosophy that hinges on the then-radical concepts of self-determination and free will. Where do the laws come from? Who takes care of problems? Humanism puts that responsibility on us as individuals rather than trusting to the established hierarchy.

To me, this rings the same bells that rang when I learned about the Jewish concept of tikkun olam, often translated as 'the repair of the world'. Tikkun olam is a way of describing a sense of social responsibility. The world is broken, in need of perfecting. But God is not snapping Their fingers and fixing it, because They want us to aid in repairing it. This is our duty, obligation, and privilege.


“The phrase 'Someone ought to do something' was not, by itself, a helpful one. People who used it never added the rider 'and that someone is me'.”

― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather


The concept of tikkun olam as well as Pratchett's works have deeply informed my own practice as a hearthcrafter: I believe that I am helping to perfect the world by perfecting my own home. I hold on tightly to what is mine, and do everything in my power to protect it and the people that depend on me. Pratchett might describe my approach to the sacred duty of hospitality as weaponized selfishness.

One of the ways I keep my home feeling safe and welcoming: a ruchnik, or embroidered ritual towel-- a gift from a dear friend.


Perhaps Niccolò Machiavelli would approve of this, or perhaps he would scoff at me as naive. Of course, he is only one side in the Renaissance debates about how this newly individual responsibility is to be accomplished.

Another side, one that resonates much more deeply for me, is the various artistic movements celebrating the beauty of the world and the beauty of humans, our place in the world as something inherently valuable. Because inherent value means it's worth putting effort into. The world, say Giotto and Petrarch and Botticelli, is worth fixing. And so why would we not do everything in our power to fix it?

3 comments:

  1. I think we were on a similar brainwave. I think it is funny how you and I are very different Emma, but we both came to the same conclusion that at the center of humanity is a belief that the world and people are worth a lot. Amen to all your points! Check out my blog "The Answer You're Looking For" to see what I mean:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ancient Celts, the Norse, the Greeks, the Israelites-- they all held hospitality as a sacred duty, believed that the guest-host bond was even more important than the bonds of familial obligation. For me, I reinterpreted this in my life as a call to make every space I am in mine (safe, and welcoming, and home-like), to extend that sacred guest-bond to everyone I come in contact with. That is the core of my theology, the core of my magic, and the sum of the person I am striving to become.

      Delete
    2. I think that is a great life mission to have!

      Delete