Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Examples of Faith from the Reformation

The Reformation was a time of religious upheaval all across Europe. When Martin Luther nailed his 95 thesis on the church “bulletin board” in 1517, he could never have foreseen the vast effect his action would have on the whole of Europe, and the entire world. At first the Catholic church reacted by somewhat candidly writing up their “Consilium de Emendanda Ecclesia,” outlining some things they recognized as needing reform. It turned out that it wasn’t enough, and people began breaking away from the Catholic church and practicing Lutheranism and other protestant faiths. Protestants were calling out for a more authentic, personal sort of worship, and a direct learning of the Word of God by individuals. The effects were wide spread and in many cases, like that of one of my ancestors, immensely life changing, as some were forced to choose between their home countries and their faith.


Because the church was such a big political power as well as religious, the reformation period became marked by war and political turbulence. Despite previous efforts to create peace, such as in the Peace of Angsburg in 1555 and the Peace of Munster in 1648 (which ended the 30 Years War), religious tension persisted and those of protestant faiths continued to be persecuted or expelled from their homes. My ancestor, Johan Gorg Mengersdorff was one of these protestants, a Lutheran. After the expulsion edict of Salzburg Protestants (October 31, 1731) he was told that he either needed to give up his faith or leave the country. He chose to leave, and so did over 20,000 other protestants living in Salzburg. In search of religious freedom, Gorg, Anna, and their two small children left their home, but instead of marching across Germany to settle in lands provided for them in East Prussia, like most of the Salzburg Protestants did, they emigrated to South Carolina, United States. They had another child shortly after their arrival, my great great great great grandfather John George Mengersdorff II.

Imagining the stress and hardship he and his wife endured causes me to feel an immense sense of gratitude. I am grateful for the strength that Johan Gorg Mengersdorff and his wife Anna showed, and for their legacy of faith they left behind for my family and I. I hope I can be a similar example of strength and faith to my children, as I practice the religion that I believe in, which is sometimes persecuted by others.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you were able to connect this idea of devout faith that we see in the Reformation to your ancestor. This makes me think of my ancestors who crossed the plains in the 1860s. They also are examples to me of devout faith as I read their stories that show their ability to turn to God despite serious trials of their faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete