Monday, September 16, 2019

Looking for Faster Content? Try the Printing Press!!!

Early Press, etching from Early Typography by William Skeen
Guess who got a new computer this summer? Me! And it’s been so nice no longer waiting five to seven minutes just for the loading screen to show up! No more freezing if I have more than two windows open! There is something so nice about expanding horizons. Suddenly things that seemed difficult or impossible are within my grasp. One of the reasons my computer works faster than my old one is the increase of core processing. A simplified explanation of using more cores to make a faster computer is that each core can do at least one task at a given time. So if you have more cores more tasks can be done simultaneously.


Such advancements in technology make everyday lives easier but seeing these advancements for the first time can feel miraculous. There was a time back in the early fourteenth century when new advancements gave people the same sense of wonder, the ability to have so much more knowledge in their grasps as the printing press started to make books and the pursuit of knowledge more common. Similar to how I felt being able to do more in-depth searches on the internet having access to books and words gave the people of this time period a sense of wonder. It also, like the increase of cores in my computer, made it so innovation could move forward with more people working on projects together speeding up the forward gain of knowledge. Time moves on and as humans, we keep innovating. Yet if it weren’t for the printing press literacy never would have risen as high. If literacy hadn’t raised later inventions wouldn’t even have been dreamt of. Typing out this post on my computer wouldn’t be possible. The build-up of knowledge over time truely is a blessing both to the people flourishing in the renaissance and for me today who has the chance to turn her homework in on time.

4 comments:

  1. I published my blog post before reading yours, so if you notice similarities, it wasn't on purpose, haha. I did like how you gave the hopeful take on the printing press and information in general. I can only imagine what it must have meant to be a Renaissance kid, who gets to be the first bookworm of the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The process of spreading information is mind-blowing. It’s crazy to see how everything (including and especially literature and science) just took off with one simply brilliant invention. I’m also super grateful for the printing press.

    Congratulations, also, on the computer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your comment that the general rise in literacy and education meant that more people could work on problems and solutions could come faster. I had never thought about it that way before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice article, I enjoyed reading your post, very nice share, I want to twit this to my followers. Thanks!. thekontent.de/

    ReplyDelete