Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Our Innate Desire to Romanticize

I am the definition of a day dreamer. One single thought has the potential to lead my down a rabbit hole of endless possibilities of humor, stress, adventure, or recognition. When I was in the third grade, I had a crush on a girl named Meg. I don't remember much about single thing about third grade except trying to impress her. For that valentines day I even gave her my sister's teddy bear (without permission). Oftentimes I remember daydreaming about something heroic I could do that would make her and her family "fall in love" with me (I went to church with them). One specific daydream I remember having was saving her from being hit by a school bus and breaking my leg in the process. They would come visit me in the hospital and I would be the hero. That probably sounds absolutely insane, but it's true!
Image result for boy and girl
I guess you could say I was quite the romantic as a 3rd grade boy. A part of that can be attributed to the fact that I was trying to win the heart of the prettiest girl in school. But there was more to it than that. The other part was the glory and recognition I would receive. It was the very fact that I daydreamed about chivalry and the opportunity to sacrifice for something that meant a lot to me. Inside my mind was the innate desire to make everything one big dramatic show where I was the protagonist.

Seeing this in myself makes it easier to understand romanticism in the context of World War I. This war happened at a time where there were endless possibilities and immeasurable potential for personal growth. In this context the young people of the world were presented an opportunity to go on an adventure and prove their worth. Rather than jump in front of a bus to save their crush, they went to war to save their country. My intent was to save Meg from the mean bus driver. Soldiers went to war to stop darkness from spreading across the planet. Just like I would receive recognition in a hospital bed, these young men would return home to be honored, having traveled the world in the process. Romanticism was behind every individual desire to be involved. It appears that I'm not the only one who daydreams about what the future could bring.

Image: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS767US767&biw=1242&bih=569&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=dRntW4fJCcGIggfEkpiQAQ&q=boy+and+girl&oq=boy+and+girl&gs_l=img.3..0j0i67j0l8.6117.7187..9805...0.0..0.124.1322.0j12......1....1..gws-wiz-img.......35i39.KORdMOGO0Ds#imgrc=nCyQNyNnZShLVM:

2 comments:

  1. It's so interesting to me to think about the war as romantic because obviously it's terrifying and awful and people died and these boys who were drafted had to experience terrible things and many lost their lives and people came home with PTSD and etc. but I agree with you. For some reason, going off to fight is romantic, maybe because it's so drastic? I'm not quite sure why. - Lily Bridgewater

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you likened the term romanticism to your day dreams- although our definition of romance and theirs are different, they carry the similarity of idealism. World War One is an example of the dangers of that idealism. I think it has to do with motivation- fighting for the liberty of others, hurting so someone else can avoid pain, etc. are noble. But we romanticize them to the extent that the means, not the end, becomes what we adore. In the end, war and suffering aren't romantic in and of themselves. It's the intention we should value.

    ReplyDelete