Thursday, October 11, 2018

Divine Providence

Everyone has felt at some point in their life, the pain and sorrows of this world. There are natural disasters, sickness, heartache, tyrants, and an infinite group of maladies that can befall us as humans. However, following every winter comes spring, and like the warm spring breeze, the joys of the world can breath new energy into our lives. Friends, family, and faith can all restore this happiness. For every pain there is a joy that can be felt, and this is all according to a divine plan.


In London it was the tradition to study for 7 years, followed by an apprenticeship in a noted academy before beginning to even sell your first watch. This incredible study was necessary for the minute adjustments to keep all pieces balanced and ticking according to plan. The thinkers that followed the enlightenment in the age of reason believed in a divine watchmaker: a God who has set the universe on its course, and is watching it all play out. 
 The great English poet Pope called this force providence: the plan of the divine, the course of the universe and said, 
Go Wiser thou! and in thy scale of sense, weigh thy opinion against Providence... And who but wishes to invert the laws of order, sins against th' Eternal Cause...
In my life I have often wondered why Heavenly Father has given me the trials I have. This pales in comparison to my younger sister who has been nothing but good, and has some of the greatest trials I have ever seen. But I will accept that there are higher thoughts than mine, and a plan that I cannot see. Men are that they might have joy, and that is exactly what the watchmaker wants.

Photo- "A watchmaker working on a Railroad watch" -Les Linder, Public Domain

2 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with the intricacies of watchmaking, but based on the time involved, it must be highly detailed. That makes it a very appropriate comparison to the intricate natures of our lives and how our individual lives affect those around us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever since I was younger, I have been fascinated with the concept of time. In fact, my favorite quote is, "In time take time while time doth last, for time is no time when time is past" (Nicholas Stone). Thinking on that in comparison with your post makes me want to consider the ways that I live my life. Do I try to live my life with precision? Am I studying well? Do I use my time effectively?

    ReplyDelete